Friday, April 3, 2009

Eatin' Good In The Neighborhood

In January we decided as a family to start eating healthy! Funny statement cause we always thought we ate fairly healthy. Everyone has a different definition of eating healthy, but we have made some big changes around here.
  • With the help of not having a job for the first two months, we stopped eating out. And we've been trying to eat less processed foods like frozen corndogs... (you know all the easy stuff)...
  • We've only been eating homemade breads cause we know exactly what's in them (and I can use healthy ingredience).
  • We've been eating lesssss sugar, not just sweets, but less sugar in everything. Realizing that sugar is in EVERYTHING!
  • No soda pop. That stuff is bad. (okay, if we want one once a month or so we go for it, but I honestly don't even want it cause I know I feel better with out it).
  • I've been studying lots of things. The biggest change we've made so far is that the girls (and I) now drink homemade rice milk. Tayvie has had terrible eczima since she started drinking cow's milk, her little cheeks were red and rough like sandpaper and her legs were the same, splotchy spots that would flair up. Nothing seemed to help until she started drinking rice milk, after just ONE day without cow's milk her cheeks were so kissably soft!!! Beautiful! Her legs are clearing more slowly but they look and feel fantastic!
  • I've been making and freezing things like waffles and pancakes cause I make them with our homemade rice milk and no sugar... and they are still yummy!
  • We've been eating lots and lots of vegetables. mmmm. Meat, we do mainly chicken and turkey, less red meats (those who know me well will laugh cause they know even before this I was always cooking CHICKEN).
  • Most recently, I've been limiting cheese. IS THAT THE HARDEST THING EVER??? Yep, it's a tough one! I haven't come up with a good cheese substitute yet- any ideas? I'll take 'em. Cheese is very concentraited with casein (a protien that is found in milk) in fact, cheese IS casein, but it's like the yummiest food ever, it makes anything and everything yummy, and it's easy. If there's nothing else to eat you can always give the kids a cheese stick or throw some cheese on a homemade tortilla! But so far so good, honestly the kids don't miss it- but I do.

Tony mentioned twice last week how good he feels and that he has much more energy especially after lunch. I feel good too. It's interesting how we've started to realize what foods don't make us feel good. For me, my doctor told me in December that I am pre-diabetic and if I would do this it would cure my PCOS (you know, I could have babies with less trouble, cool eh? I'm totally up for that!). Side note: PCOS is caused by the way my body deals with insulin~ completely related to diabetes. So how cool is that to be able to be CURED? Cool. So who knows how long it will take, I know it's a process. We cheat here and there now, but we're getting good at it just being how we eat!

I hope this doesn't come across preachy or know-it-all-ish (I'll be the first to admit I'm not even close to knowing it all... not even close), I've hezitated to mention this for a few months, but I just thought I should share since it's such a big part of what's going on over here. I know this isn't practical for a lot of people, but for us we're loving it. We're learning more and more as we do it. We don't want to focus on the restrictions- we still allow ourselves to eat these things here or there for the most part, especially if we are eating at someone else's house- that's a "treat" and we just eat what they're eating, but for us it's about more consistantly chosing healthy foods. Our definition of health foods will probably evolve the more we learn and the more we do this. It's incredible how much there is to learn about what's in what we eat and how it effects our bodies.

It's been a big lifestyle change for us, but a lot of fun too~ fun cooking and creating healthy foods that make us feel good! It's my newest hobby and the girls love helping me!


I'll tell ya I never would have read this whole thing, I would have clicked on this and thought 'hum, picture of bread...LOTS of words- good bye.' Let me know who made it through this whole thing!
Maybe I should give you a reward or something! :)

12 comments:

  1. reward me...made it through with ease!! you are inspiring to me...i hate all the non "natural" things that are in my food, but sometimes i just don't have the will power! keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read it. I didn't think it sounded preachy at all, but it does sound difficult. I have recently started making an effort to make my meals healthier. For my family though it was more about eating vegetables other than corn and potatoes. Joe still wishes that we could go back to eating doritos instead of asparagus. You are WAY ahead of the health game. Props to you for having the willpower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I know that is incredibly hard to do and keep up. I've had to be on dairy-free diets for both my babies and it's definately not easy. I don't know how you do the rice milk. I didn't mind it in baked things (cookies, cinnamon rolls, or french toast) but to serve it up in a glass or with a bowl of cereal, just not my thing. I'm glad Tayvie is doing better. That's very encouraging! As far as the cheese goes. It's really hard to find an okay non dairy cheese. They're all pretty gross. I think it's just one of those things that will never be the same. I got used to no cheese though and after a few months of not having it, it wasn't too bad. Now, sour cream... that's my weakness. I do my the non fat though and that works for us. Good luck and sounds like you guys are on the right track!

    P.S. Are you still getting enough calcium? You might want to consider taking a supplement if you're cutting back on your dairy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually read through the whole thing. I love that you are doing this, and have been contemplating this for a long time. You will have to let me know of some recipes. I don't even know where to get started? I am so proud of you though. I know that can be really hard...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read it, and it was SO motivating!! Makes me want to try it. I'm really bad at things like that though....we'll see....someday! But way to go!! I'm really happy for you guys and that it can cure your PCOS. I hope it helps soon! You are amazing!! I love that you shared it too! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read it! I am trying to do the same things! for Christmas my mom bought us $150 worth of CHEESE!! It's still in my freezer! I LOVE cheese and it's been EXTREMELY hard to cut it out of my diet... (I haven't completely, but for the most part I have)The hardest thing for me is all the sweets.. kit kats, skittles, ice cream sandwiches, etc... And eating out! We went out of town this past weekend and it was WAY hard to eat anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read it! How do you make your own rice milk? Cheese is the only thing I wish Alyssa could eat. Everything else has a decent substitute. Cheese without dairy is icky and just doesn't look or melt right. There's some almond cheese if your kids aren't allergic to nuts. It seems okay but Lys can't have nuts! I wish they made cheese sticks with non-dairy cheese and I wish they made soy yogurt in tubes like gogurt... I too don't really like to have pop around. Karah and Alyssa haven't ever had it. (That is until the other day I went to pick up Boo at Shawn's sister's house and she was bouncing off the walls and came and told me she LOVES sprite! I was pretty irritated! It was not fizzy anymore, that's the only reason she would even drink it but I didn't want her to have it...) Gotta love family... Good luck with your eating-I go through phases like that-hopefully you can make it last longer than I can!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm ready for my reward too!! I love information like this. I'm always interested in what people are doing to make themselves more healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made it through, and I am super impressed! When I am done with this baby (because i have NO will-power left) and I am so gonna get some tips from you. Are you still running? Do me a favor and go for a good run just for me :) And also, eat a candy bar or something :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made it through too and found it very interesting. That is so cool! I need to do more of that too. We are pretty good, but I'm totally with you on the Cheese thing. How can people live without cheese completely. Anyway, that's great that it can CURE you! That would be awesome! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have been so inspiring to me with your eating healthy! I need to jump on the wagon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How cool! I wouldn't say it was preachy! In fact it was quite motivating! I get in these phases where I want to eat healthy and I do it for about 2 or 3 days and then I stop. Either because I run out of good healthy food at my house or that candy bar looks to good and I just give up. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and ideas and the things you are doing. I might just have to give it another try!

    ReplyDelete