Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Waitin' On A Train...

I've mentioned before my love of trains. Well, this is why: Dellie was named after my Grandpa Haun. When we were growing up we spent a lot of time with him. He had a woodshop behind his carport, he ALWAYS wore overalls and had those flat wood pencils in the front pockets. We loved to watch him in the woodshop making chairs, toys, all sorts of things. He had a swing that he also made and we would sit in it and sing old time songs like "All Around The Water Tank (Waiting For A Train)," and "Two Little Girls In Blue." They said he couldn't carry a tune in a bucket but it never stopped him from singing. (I learned to sing from him so no wonder).
Anyway, he made these trains, my grandma said he made them for the schools to use. We used to play with these trains when we went down there, I've been asking for them for years and I was so excited to get them yesterday!!!
The real train use to run where trax does now which was right across the street from my grandpa & grandma's house, so we would run down to the end of the coul d sac to see the train when we would hear it and then run to the other end to see the end of it again. Really good memories. (These real train pictures were taken on our way home from Evanston on Saturday not at my grandma's).
Also yesterday while we were at my grandma's house we found the marble slide we use to play with. Dellie and I had a tun of fun putting the marbles in it and watching them go down. I remember I use to love to play with the marbles and I thought this thing was the coolest thing ever! I was actually surprized to see how simple it really was yesterday!





7 comments:

  1. Lacie - these are soooo cool! I think that the toys that engage this littles are the ones that don't have any mechanics to them so that they are the ones that make them go.

    Side note on trains - my Dad absolutley loves trains, he would plan our family vacations on trains whenever he could - he has passed that passion on to me, I remember catching the train at 2:00 in the morning to go to California - such an exhilarting experience, they seriously stop for about five minutes at the little tiny station that we had and then carry on I was always so afraid that one of us wouldn't make it onto the train and then what would we do!!!! Sorry about the long comment, but I know you understand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the best post!! It so makes me long for the good old days...things were so simple! Remember how grandma would send us outside with a spray bottle and we would "paint" the cement all day long. I used to worry when mom or dad would pull into the driveway that they would park on top of the hop scotch too! Grandma's house was the best! Still is!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. by the way your photos are getting better and better!! keep it up and you may be doing my engagements and bridals!! (not the reception cause you have to be in them ~sorry~)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously playing with these yesterday really did bring back such great memories! I think you are right, Alta Girl, it are the simplest toys that are the best! We always did have fun at Grandma & Grandpa's house and I thought about the spray bottles too! They were another favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey my camera isn't too shabby sometimes! I just looked at that picture of the marbles and thought it's pretty clear!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Marci...these photos are fabulous...I hope you win that camera...only because it would be really cool...then you can work with me. I would love that. I wonder where your Grandma lives...we used to do the same thing on a cul de sac, and not Traxx is where the train used to go. Hmmm...love the post today. Making me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How funny! I wonder if they lived near each other! We'll have to talk. My grandma lives on a double cul d sac.

    Also Kim mentioned I am trying to win a Nikon D40 Camera, and I wanted to tell you all you should give it a try too... if I don't win it would be nice if one of you did :) go to www.stunningnikon.com/picturetown the contest is thru June 24. Go through the picture gallery and when you see the Nikon camera pop up in the lower left hand corner click on it and you can enter, you can only enter once a day. Good Luck!!!

    ReplyDelete