Friday, August 22, 2008

So Long Suwon!!!

Tony has been in Suwon, South Korea for the past two weeks. He got on his plane at about 4:30 this morning (our time) to come home today!!! He has a 2 hour layover in LA and then he will get here at about 8:30 tonight!
Annyeonghi Kyeseyo Korea!!!

We are so excited to see him tonight!!!

He was over there for work to install machines. If you know what he does for a living it is completely amazing. He programs and maintains these massive machines and controls robots inside of the machines. The machines make or coat waffers of some sort having to do with chips in cell phones or memory in flash drives... (When he reads this he is probably going to tell me that this is all wrong, but I've been trying to understand for the past 3 years and what I understand is this dumbed-down version). It's all very complicated, when he talks about it it's like a completely different language- maybe it's Korean? :). But he is very smart - smart enough that they would send him to Korea! So it's been a neat experience for him, he hasn't liked the food much but there was a Pizza Hut, and a Korean co-worker had him over one night for bbq steak.

Thanks to the miracle of technology, we've been able to talk over Skype. Skype is AMAZING! Completely free to talk to him half a world a way! We even play Chinese Checkers over Skype while we are talking, which Ayla LOVES! She always asks if we can play a game with daddy. It's fun, she can see him move his marbles and she gets all excited! It definately helped the time go by fast!

The time difference has been strange. He's 15 hour ahead of us. So when I would talk to him at 7 am that was 10 pm for him... I was just starting my day and he was ending his. Then I would talk to him at 3:00 in the afternoon and that would be his 6 am the next day. So here's the strangest thing: He left Korea at 7:30 pm Friday night (his time) so he will live today twice!!! That's one long day for him on an airplane!

I think the hardest part for me was that I didn't get to talk to him before I went to bed every night because that was the middle of the day for him and he was at work. I missed him the most then. Every night when I would see the moon I would think how amazing it was that he was seeing the same moon. I wished I could have stuck a stickynote on it and he would have laughed when he saw it the next night.

I kept telling him to take tuns of pictures so hopefully he'll have a bunch to post.

We're so excited to see him today!!! We can't wait!!!

3 comments:

  1. yeah he is coming home!! i insist that we still waste a ton of time together...even though he will be home to entertain you again too.
    we've missed him, but it has been fun with ayla. every plane she saw she announced "that's the plane tony's on!" (it might seem to him like he was on that plane the whole time, like she thought he was, after his trip today!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so neat Lacie!! I love this post. I'm gonna have to try the sticky note thing for nate one of these nights- I totally feel for ya!! I'm happy for you to have Tony home!! Can't wait to see the pictures too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad he is finally home. I always hate when Christian leaves, but he's never been gone that long, and I have never had children to care for either. So you are amazing for being able to survive.

    ReplyDelete